Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) Self-Employed Farmer Stream’s goal is to attract the farm owners/operators who plan to live in Alberta in order to purchase and manage their farming business in the province.
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) assesses applicant’s eligibility by working closely with Alberta’s Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. To be examined for immigration to Alberta under Self-Employed Farmer stream, the individuals with the intention to set up a farming business in Alberta, they must demonstrate farm management skills and sufficient financial resources to invest in a primary production farming business in the province of Alberta.
Self-employed farmers must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be qualified to apply to this stream:
- They have to prove that they have farm management skills with:
- The Financial documentation of existing farm business;
- The Proof of education, training, and work experience;
- A prospective business plan that describes the Alberta farming business the applicant plans to operate; and
- Proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance the applicant’s farming business operations in the province of Alberta.
- They have to prove that they have sufficient financial resources for the project
- They must be able to invest a minimum of CAD $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta; and
- Need to show a minimum net worth of CAD $500,000 or confirmation of access to similar funds from other sources.
Note: $500,000 is a minimum investment amount in this stream. The larger amount may be required to demonstrate investment ability to the government of Alberta.
- They need to prove that they will invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta:
- Document investment intentions in the proposed business plan; and
- The Government of Alberta prioritizes applications that show the greatest opportunity for growth based on Alberta’s Agri-Food targets.
- They have to attend an in-person interview with a Government of Alberta representative who determines the applicant’s eligibility under the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP.)
Who is not eligible to apply to the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream
The candidates are not eligible to apply under this stream if they are:
- Refugee claimants, or the individuals who involved in a federal appeal or removal process;
- Live-in caregivers who are currently living in Canada;
- A Temporary Foreign Workers who are working and living in a province other than Alberta; and
- The International students who are studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program.