North American Free Trade Agreement

North American Free Trade Agreement

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) lets the citizens of Canada, the United States and Mexico seeks quick entry into each other countries for temporary business or investment purposes.

These people don’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) which means that Canadian employers don’t  need to have a job offer approved by Employment and Social Development Canada to hire Mexican or American business person

Under North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), business people must require the basic rules for temporary entry to Canada.

They are a total of 4 groups of business people come under NAFTA:

  • Business visitors
  • Professionals
  • Intra-company transferees
  • Traders and Investors

Business Visitors in North American Free Trade Agreement

Business visitors

Business Visitors are those who come to Canada to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labor market. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few weeks or a maximum of up to 6 months.

Professionals for North American Free Trade Agreement


To work in Canada as a professional, you must require the following:

  • Professional must be qualified to work in one of the jobs set out in NAFTA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst or engineer)
  • They should have a job offer from a Canadian business in that field and
  • They should must have a work permit.

Intra company transfer work permit

Intra-company transferee

To work on Intra-Company transferee the person who is sent to work for the same company in a different country must require the following:

  • Working for the same company for at least 1 to last 3 years
  • Working for the same employer in the US or Mexico
  • The person can be transferred to Canada to work short term for the same or a related employer or Client
  • The person working as an Executive or Manager or in a job that uses specialized knowledge, and
  • The person should have a work permit

investors and traders for North American Free Trade Agreement

Traders and Investors

To work in Canada as a trader or investor, you must have the following:

  • The person to be involved in planning as a Manager, supervisor, executive or in a role that involves essential skills
  • They must involve in a large amount of trade in goods or services between Canada and your home country or a large investment in Canada by you or your company
  • They should meet any other rules of NAFTA and have a work permit.

5 thoughts on “North American Free Trade Agreement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 About Us

Canada Visas Information – Latest information on Immigration updates, Information, Developments, and Articles pertaining to Immigration of Canada

 Contact Us

Copyright © 2022 by – All Rights Reserved.