Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada which will be based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

Minimum Requirements for Eligibility:

Skilled to Work for Federal Skilled Trades Program

Skilled Work Experience:

Skilled Trades for the Federal Skilled Trade Program are organized under the following groups of NOC:

  • Major Group 72 (Electrical Industrial and Construction Trades)
  • Major Group 73 (Maintenance and Equipment Operation Trades)
  • Major Group 82 (Supervisors and Technical Jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production
  • The Major Group 92 (Manufacturing, Processing and Utility supervisors and central control operators
  • The Minor Group 632 (Master Chefs and Cooks)
  • The Minor Group 633 (Bakers and Butchers)

The all major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations and they are all belongs to skill type B. you must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), which also includes all the essential duties and most of the duties listed.

If you don’t show that your work experience meets the description in the National Occupation Classification (NOC) then we won’t accept your application

Please find your NOC Code, Title and Skill type or level of your job

Federal Skilled Trades Program applications must be based on the 2016 version of the NOC

Language Ability for Federal Skilled Trades Program

Language Ability:

  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Listening
  • Speaking

You must be a score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for listening and speaking and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing. Enter the test results in your express entry profile and this language tests are valid up to 2 years of the date of the result.

Education for Federal Skilled Trades Program


If you have a foreign education then you must have the following:

  • The completed Credential
  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization through WES OR IQAS showing that education is equal to a completed certificate, degree, diploma from a Canadian secondary institution /high school or post-secondary institution.
  • If you went to school in Canada then you must have a certificate of Degree or Diploma from a Canadian secondary institution /high school or post-secondary institution.

Funds for Federal Skilled Trades Program

Proof of Funds:

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada unless you are currently able to work legally in Canada or you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer

Admissible and Inadmissible for Federal Skilled Trades Program


You must be admissible to Canada

What it means to be inadmissible: Some people are not allowed to come to Canada; they are inadmissible under Canadian immigration law as a Canadian immigration officer will decide that if you can enter Canada when you are applying for a visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or when you arrive at a port of entry.

If you are inadmissible to Canada: You won’t allow entering the country, if you have a valid genuine reason to travel to Canada then the officer will be justified in the circumstances, they may issue you a temporary resident permit.

Penalties for driving while impaired: If you drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol then you will be inadmissible for a serious crime which means you won’t be able to enter Canada or stay unless they issue you a temporary resident permit. You will also have to pay the CAN $200 processing fee for the permit and still there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to enter or stay in Canada.

Federal Skilled Trades Program - Canada

Where you can live in Canada: you must plan to live outside the province of Quebec as the province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan to live in Quebec then you must be Quebec selected skilled worker

Get assessed by the province or territory

You will likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed for your trade and you may also need an employer in Canada to give you training and experience. To learn more about getting assessed you should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province where you would like to work and live but the process is different, depending on where you want to go. Each website has more details about qualifications and certificates to work in that territory in a specific skilled trade and what you have to do to get one.

If your trade is not regulated by a province that may be federally regulated for example (Airplane Mechanic) you can find out who regulates your trade by visiting the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

Next Steps:

 About Us

Canada Visas Information – Latest information on Immigration updates, Information, Developments, and Articles pertaining to Immigration of Canada

 Contact Us

Copyright © 2022 by canadavisasinfo.com – All Rights Reserved.